Stumpy!

Meet stumpy, a little tree stump. Sometime in March I am taking part in a group show called Flora + Fauna. I am excited to make plush trees and plants, and maybe even some weird little flowers for the show. I asked if I could make a life sized tree stump, and got the go ahead. I decided to make a few small ones first, so I could play around with differen’t fabrics for the bark. Stumpy is my first try.

He is obviously sad because he has been chopped down. What Stumpy does not realize is a tree stump is good for something—a resting spot! I think maybe its time to reread The Giving Tree to prove it to him.

In other strange news (because yes, referring to a plush tree stump as if it is real is a little strange) Tom and I have become Lost devotees! It’s funny because I always assumed the show Lost was a reality show, and would have never thought to Netflix it. Turns out not only is it not a reality show, but one of the main characters is Charlie from Party Of Five (haha) Our friend Brett (also a brainwashed devotee) convinced Tom and I to give it a try. Now it is a sick sad LOST world here at our house. Last night..and I am ashamed to admit it…butonce the kids were asleep … we watched all four episodes from season 1 disc 2! All 4!! Right in a row!! Sick and twisted I know, but we just couldn’t help ourselves!

26 Responses to Stumpy!

1. teresa says:

awww, stumpy is awesome! i love the stitching on the top for the rings! great job as always super wonder-plush maker woman!

2. marianne says:

aw, I want to hug him!

3. oh my this one is just great, so real and cute , i love when plush are sad there my favorite ones.
    nice job :)

4. joanofarrgh says:

adorable! i love the many fabrics and the stitch detail!

5. Kathryn says:

Stumpy is ADORABLE!

6. mary says:

I love Stumpy’s different textures! Can’t wait to see the life-sized one.
    Lost is very exciting. I had a dream once that I was on it, and it was a reality show, but it was sort of like that movie where Jim Carey doesn’t realize he’s part of a reality show, so no one was in real danger. Um, where did that come from? Yeah, Lost is fun.

7. neesypea says:

You’re not sick and twisted, the hubby and I are addicted to LOST too! There’s all these different websites with crazy theory’s about “the island” and and what not! We watch it every week! :)

8. Jess says:

So unique! This is a favorite. :D

9. Becky says:

Ohman, Dave and I are addicted to Lost. We got all caught up during one of the hiatuses and now we wait anxiously for new ones to come out.

Also, that stump is adorable!

10. j says:

he’s so cute.

11. Oh. My. God.

I need to have that lil stumpy. For reals! My parents last name is ‘Stumpf’ and my step-dad’s nickname is ‘Stumpy’ he would freak!

12. Adrian says:

Oh, dude, I love Stumpy so much! The texture of the sweatery parts and the sewn concentric circles are wonderful.

13. michelle says:

this little stump is one of the cutest ideas yet! You are a stuffie genious! I love your art!

14. stephanie says:

that stumpy guy is adorable, i am officially in love with him! :D

furthermore, my roommates totally got me addicted to lost, they bought the 1st season as soon as it came out on dvd & we watched the whole thing in no time. now every week we all convene in the living room for it – it has definitely become a ritual. also, thanks for pointing out that was charlie! i used to love party of five [lol] now i won’t be able to stop seeing him as charlie, too funny.

15. JESSEE says:

hey! that Stump is adorable (as always)…

but i have other news too…
    first off… i saw chenille (sp?) for $4 a yard at joanns this week (its normally $12) and i noticed you used it on the pie doll…
    also, if your ever in frederick, i have Lost complete season 1, if you want to watch it all in one go!

16. ivywillow says:

I LOVE STUMPY! Now I want several for seating in my little one’s room!

17. kate says:

Ohhh! How unbelievably cute!

18. Mariah says:

OMy! We did the same thing, being prompted by my little brother, we finally rented Lost (BTW in the last disk -6 I think- of season one there is a disk with the entire season on it….of course I only found this out once I had rented the other like 5 or whatever! ANyway, now I have been downloading the new season onto my ipod to watch….cant get enough, we dont even watch TV, ah, I mean *didnt! :) Stumpy is adorable!

19. reenie says:

OMG!
    HILARIOUS! Paul and I just watched all 4 episodes from the exact same disc!!! And we are gearing up right now to watch disc 3—– too funny—-
    bzzztt bzzzt on the same wavelength????

20. Maitreya says:

I love the different textures you used for the bark!

21. Heather says:

I just love the stump. I want to start watching Lost, I’ve heard it’s really good. I guess I have to Netflix it now.

22. Heather says:

Oh, I love all the different textures of Stumpy!! He is so cute and reminds me of Stump from The Angry Beavers.

23. dawbis says:

heidi!

i completely forgot about the new location of your journal. i have been wondering where you went. i shouldn’t stay away from computers for long periods anymore.

your creativness always amazes me. that tree stump is very ute. i hope all is well with you.

xo

24. Susie says:

stumpy is soo cute. i want one. how do you come up with your creations? hehe its so adorable.

25. Stacey says:

I love Stumpy!!! Will you make some to sell? Simply adorable!