This is the chocolate caramel cake that I made for my nephew. It was inspired by a post on the livejournal cake decorating community. The girl had found a pillsbury recipe for a campfire cake and changed some things to make it her own. I loved what she did for the caramel center and went with that for mine too.
The cake is extra dark chocolate with a caramel center and chocolate frosting. I have never heard of making caramel this way and was intrigued! The recipe said to take a can of sweetened condensed milk, remove the label and submerge it in a pot of water making sure that the can is covered completely. It says do not open the can or make any holes in it. Then it said to boil the can for 4 hours! (I only did mine for 3). It says to make sure the top of the can is always under water or the can could explode (which actually sounds scary but since Katie was over and we were hanging out in the kitchen area it was easy to keep an eye on). After the long boiling period I removed the pan from the heat and once the can was cool enough to handle I put it in the refrigerator overnight.
It sounds sort of odd, but it really did work, and so many people at the party remarked that the caramel center was so good. So that is always a good sign.
Once the caramel was spread in the center and the second layer added, I crumbed and frosted the sides of the cake. Then once again I used orange sprinkles to decorate the sides only. After that was done I crumbed and frosted the top of the cake with chocolate frosting.
The day before the cake baking + frosting my friend Katie was over and I put her to work crushing hard candies for the flames. Once they were crushed we spread them out onto a foil lined and sprayed pan to bake at 350F for about 8 minutes until melted. I let it cool overnight and the following day broke it into large shards to push into the cake for the flames. I saved a good size shard and used candy eyes and frosting to make a face. With the face I thought it looked like Calcifer from Howl’s Moving Castle which made it even more fun.
The sticks were made using those rolled butter cookies, but the original recipe calls for pretzel rods. I thought the cookies would be a little more tasty on a cake.
Both cakes seemed to go over really well today. The chocolate cake was totally consumed. The rainbow cake had about 1/4 left and looked absolutely amazing when cut! I didn’t get a photo but Heather did and I will link to her Flickr when she has the photos up there.
Starting next Sunday I will be away for a week. I am taking my laptop but will not be able to be online much at all. I am still planning to do the shop update while I am away, but nothing will be mailed until I return on May 5th (5 days after the update) I will be adding 75 of the breakfast keychains and 75 of the donut keychains at that time. Also of course anything else I have ready for the update as well. This week is going to be sort of hectic because I have to get my 3 pieces finished for the Crammed Organisms show too. They need to be shipped out before I leave and are all pretty involved.