Pinecone Cheeseball

My friend Katie’s husband spotted some pinecone cheeseballs at the grocery shop, and that was all I needed to hear! How cool would a Thanksgiving tray with crackers, pinecone cheeseballs, and some acorn cookies be! If you could find leaf shaped crackers that would just be over the top amazing.

I made these cheeseballs very simply by shaping brie into a cone shape and pushing almond slices into it. You could use your favorite cheeseball recipe and use slivered almonds and whole ones too. The whole almonds would look like a brown pinecone. You could even make a great vegan version with tofu instead of cheese. So many options here! You could also make extra small pinecones to pack in lunches for a little surprise. Maybe tuck some springs of plastic pine tree branches…really so many options!

Today has been a really pleasant day. Tom and both kids were off so we drove out to New Oxford in the morning. Coffee and then the German Christmas shop. We found some amazing things that I will have to photograph tomorrow because it is already dark out. Then we headed to one of the antique shops that is inside an old factory building. We found an amazing (and big) cuckoo clock that has a bird and a group of dancers who twirl and it was only $25. We got lunch out at the Lincoln Diner and plan to stay in tonight and relax. :)

15 Responses to Pinecone Cheeseball

1. april says:

You are always going to the best-sounding antique and thrift stores. My limited experiences with Pennsylvania took me to some of the best antique stores I’ve ever found, but it’s been a long time.
    It sure would be awesome if you could give some names and cities of a few places you frequent for those of us who like to do antique store road trips. I hope you wouldn’t mind revealing a few of your sources!

2. Angela says:

These are the cutest! Thanks for always sharing your cool ideas and findings.

3. Donna says:

That looks delicious, what a great idea for a Fall meal

I’ve seen where people made leaf-shaped savory pies using leaf cookie cutters, you could probably make crackers the same way. I’ve been wanting to experiment with making my own crackers after seeing an Alton Brown episode where he made them–it looks pretty easy.

4. lauren says:

cute cheeseball! i want to attempt to make one now!

5. Simbelmyne says:

that looks delicious. tho using brie makes me want to drench it in raspberry sauce…….
    (baked brie once has ruined me)

6. cecilie says:

Wow, this is a great idea, thanks for sharing!
    Oh, and I can`t wait to see the cuckoo clock. :)

7. Michelle says:

This is great! I love this. I will have to share with my mom, she adores pinecones :)

8. katie says:

I am so glad you made them! I will have to show Chris. Now I am going to have to make a few, just for fun.

9. Sara says:

Thanks so much for this, just in time for me to take it to my family’s potluck Thanksgiving Eve soiree. HOoray!!
    Sara in Salt Lake City (IbbySkibby.com)

10. Summer says:

Aak! How did you luck out with that cuckoo clock!? I’ve been wanting one my whole life (but, you don’t run across them in the West like you do back East apparently!) And German Christmas shop? Shut up! :)

I LOVE the pinecone cheeseball! I may have to make that for Thanksgiving! Thanks Heidi!

11. Lisa says:

That is SOOOOOOOOOOO cool! you are the cleverest girl EVER!

12. Valerie says:

Those pinecone cheeseballs look amazing. They remind me of Seventies style hedgehogs where half a melon (grapefruit or similar) would be overturned, covered in silver foil and act as a hedgehog base. Then cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks would be stuck all over the little fella. Classy!!

13. Arielle says:

I don’t know if someone has told you about this yet, but Not Martha made some delicious and beautiful-looking leaf crackers a little while back http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2008/10/29/leaf-shaped-soup-crackers/
    would go lovely with your pine cones and acorns.

14. Jenny says:

Dude…sprigs of rosemary would be good stand-ins for real pine needles! So cute!!

15. carolbrowne says:

Wow! CUTE! I’ll be bringing this to my next potluck. Thanks so much for posting it!