Snowflake Curtains

While I await my husband’s return from work so we can begin celebrating our anniversary I thought I would post about what I did today. Thanks for all the well wishes by the way :)

My friend Katie’s little boy had spent the night on Friday so she came over to hang out a bit today. We had plans to work on some ornaments but we had some struggles with them and decided to cut out snowflakes instead. I told her I wanted to create curtains for the front windows of lacey snowflakes and because she is such a good friend she helped.

I had a book of snowflake patterns but to be honest once we got the folding down, it was less of a pain to just make our own cuts and not worry about any set pattern. We made several different sizes as well. It took 17 snowflakes of various sizes to make one half sized window curtain.

All of our curtains use tension rods, so the snowflakes were easy to hang. We laid out a grouping of 3-4 flakes flat on the couch and then careful wove white thread through them to create a chain. We usually would take the thread back around the snowflake at the tops and bottom (to hold them in place so they didn’t just slide down the thread). Once we had a row we made a loop on the top and slide it onto the tension rod. Above are photos of Katie threading the flakes, the window during the day, and then again at night (with Muffin peeking out to see why the heck I went outside). I have one more window to work on and hopefully cutting out the snowflakes will make the time fly until Tom gets home :)

12 Responses to Snowflake Curtains

1. Glenda says:

Anniversary greetings to you and your sweetie =)

The paper snowflake curtains are so beautiful. I’m inspired to make some myself.

2. Laura says:

Your snowflake curtains look so lovely. You and Katie have all the fun! Christmas! Yay! Happy anniversary, too :)

3. Tam says:

I love the snowflake curtain idea-and it looks great! I think the photo is so adorable with your doggie pokin his head to look out the window!
    ~Tam :D

4. Heatherica says:

Wow, I love those! I LOVE snowflakes and making paper ones is always so much fun! What a perfect idea to make curtains with them!

5. Saila says:

Though everybody here in Finland grows up doing this ammual paper snowflake-routine (willingly or not, it´s a must-do in kindergartens), I´ve never seen patterns this fancy! Very cool idea to make actual curtains of paper snowflakes. I´m gonna try too!

6. Saila says:

And of course I was talking about aNNual paper snowflake-routine…

7. trashalou says:

Oh! My! Word! Princess Curly Wurly and I standing in silent admiration (and trust for us that is saying something ;-)

8. ash says:

This is so beautiful, I love it!
    I think the part I love best, is that these could be created after Christmas and left up for winter! Thanks so much for sharing!

9. Lisa Lomano says:

WHOA!! You guys RULE!! Those are BEAUTIFUL snowflakes!!

10. Summer says:

Wow! They turned out great! Now, if there was only a material more sturdy than paper so that they’d last much longer! :)

11. Moon says:

O rats! I think I messed up my post. (such a dork)
    anywho…..LOVE your art and home!

12. Patty says:

Love that idea for snowflake curtains. I have been making them nonstop, I have yet to use them though:)

Maybe I shall make some sort of snowflake hanging.