Remember my predicament when it came to quality goodies for filling treat bags, but without spending a lot of money. Well it is almost that time again with Valentine’s Day approaching. I have been thinking about my son’s class party, and decided to get a jump start.
I picked up a heart tablecloth at Target recently. It was $4.99, oh so cute…but it was the plastic-lined type and I didn’t think I would ever use it on my table. I decided I could make it into something, and so I turned it into re-usable treat bags for the class party.
1. First I folded the table cloth in half and cut along that center line.
2. Then I folded each of these new pieces in half and cut along those folds. I then had 4 large pieces of table cloth.
3. I folded each section of table cloth in half lengthwise, and then cut out long skinny bags so the fold would form the bottom of each bag. I was able to cut about 6-7 bags from each section of fabric. Since I only needed 20 bags I still have leftover table cloth that I am going to save for another project.
4. The bags will be long and skinny and have one finished edge, and one cut edge (along the top opening area) I stacked mine and sewed them all in an assembly line. It went pretty fast.
5. Since one of the top edges are finished and one was not I tucked the unfinished edge under before sewing the sides up. Just to keep it neat.
6. Once all the bags were sewn I turned them right side out and cut about 2 inch lengths of sticky back Velcro. Before applying the Velcro fold down the top of each bag onto itself. Sort of like a lunch sack. Use the folds to see where the Velcro should be attached.
And voila you are done! Now I need to start thinking about what will go inside the bags. I’ll post more when I have that down. So total with Velcro and table cloth was about $6.50 or about .32 cents per bag. Not bad considering cute lunch paper bags are usually about .30 cents each, and these can be re-used.