Lets talk about Halloween movies!!

I love a good Halloween movie! So I want to share a few of our favorites. We will start with the kid & family friendly ones, and move on to the scary ones…

Picture 11

1. First up the classic It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown This one never gets old, everything about it is just so good. The music, the animation, the trick-or-treating scenes where Charlie Brown says “I gotta rock” perfection!

2. Next up Mad Monster Party from Rankin-Bass a claymation Halloween delight. This little gem features the voices of Boris Karloff & Phyllis Diller. There are even some really great musical numbers (skeleton band anyone?)

3.Hocus Pocus I like this movie for several reasons–its about witches, salem mass, and there are dance numbers.

Picture 12

4. The Worst Witch we watched this movie growing up, and it was always a favorite. I’m still waiting to find a decently priced boxset of the tv series. But the movie is great because it centers around Halloween.

I obviously have a little bit of strange taste when it comes to movies, I like nostalgic stuff and I like Beetlejuice, Coraline, and Corpsebride, but when it comes to Halloween time I am usually hoping for stuff that has something Halloween-related in it like The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Other random halloween movies I want to see:
The Night Dracula Saved the World
The Hilarious House of Frightenstein Vincent Price :) :)
Mr. Boogedy & the Bride of Boogedy

I’m sure I am forgetting so many good ones, what about you…any kid or family Halloween movies you’ll be watching this year?

I’ll be back in another post with Halloween movies for the grown-ups :)

10 Responses to Lets talk about Halloween movies!!

1. SacredSpud says:

I’ve been watching a horror movie every night this month, and I’ve come to the conclusion that you absolutely cannot go wrong with Vincent Price. I especially recommend The Comedy of Terrors, which plays like a Mel Brooks film, and features almost everybody who was anybody in classic horror movies. Slightly more appropriate for kids is Something Wicked This Way Comes which is one of the live-action Disney movies that nobody remembers. It’s not quite as good as the book by Ray Bradbury, but he wrote the screenplay and all the good stuff is there.

2. Emily says:

“Do the mummy!!!” Skeleton band forever!

Still don’t know if I’ll ever like any Halloween costume more or confuse more people than the year I was Francesca. ;)

3. Jenny says:

We just watched Mad Monster Party on netflix! I never get bored with the claymation type movies.
    We watched Rosemarys baby last night, really good.
    Next on the list, Children of the corn. I have been wanting to go back and watch some of the horror films i remember seeing. I totally need to watch some Friday the 13th and

4. robyn says:

Oh yeah, Mr. Boogedy! A year or two ago My brother showed me that you could watch the whole thing in sections on youtube. Not sure if it is still up. It is such a part of my childhood. This whole last year while we were house hunting I kept thinking to myself “Time.to.call.a.real.TOR!” but knew no one else would understand it. I haven’t watched hocus pocus for a while either, so maybe that is what we’ll watch this week while we carve some pumpkins :)

5. liz says:

Man I thought no one knew about Mr. Boogedy! Awesome movie!

6. Nicole says:

Hocus Pocus is such a classic! Also that is totally the hottest SJP has ever been :) I love that movie!

7. Katie says:

The Worst Witch is amazing! Every year I have to re-watch the scene where Tim Curry flies in and sings that crazy song, “Anything can happen on Halloween!”!

8. rae says:

i watched the worst witch after you talked about it last year and i LOVED IT. i made everyone i know watch it. i was pretty obsessed. “has anybody seen my tamborine” looks like it is time to get it out again.

9. Jenni says:

The Witches, my daughter is finally old enough that it won’t give her horrible nightmares :)

10. Mad Monster Party is pretty obscure…glad to find others who love it, too!

I’m surprised there’s no mention of The Nightmare Before Christmas here. That, and It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, are always on heavy rotation at my place this time of year.