Back To School

My boys are heading back to school this morning. My oldest son is starting his senior year of high school. I can’t tell you how hard this is still for me to believe. My youngest son is starting the fourth grade (also pretty mind blowing, it feels like we just went in for his first day of kindergarden)
My boys are both packers and both pretty opposite in tastes. My older son is vegetarian and will eat just about anything. He likes things in his lunch like asian noodles, lots of fruit, raw veggies, sandwiches, etc. He is so easy to pack for. My youngest on the other hand eats chicken & tuna, and is a super picky eater. He is a bit more of a challenge. He gets bored with the same food so I feel like I am constantly trying to keep it new and fresh, plus I feel school lunch is good for trying new foods because he is more likely to eat them when he’s very hungry.
All that being said by the last few months of school I am over the whole “packing lunch” situation. This year to make it a little easier on all of us I created a lunch idea cheat sheet that works for my kids. You can print it out and add to it, I think it might be helpful for lunch packers of all ages.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Back To School

1. Debbie says:

Heidi,

I also find it so hard to believe how old the boys are. It doesn’t seem that long ago that the oldest was sitting on the floor reading a book while the little one was sleeping in the cart while you shopped. Lunches look great, nice variety.

2. Tammy says:

Good luck to you all! My kids start in another week – I have a HS Senior & a Sophmore. It’s a little surreal.
    Thanks for the packing list, we have definitely gotten stale with the lunches – I’m going to print it out and see if we can get together a shopping list before the school year begins.

3. Angela says:

Ah, thanks for sharing this. I like how it’s a bunch of small things to eat from instead of just a main dish ( like a sandwich) and a couple of sides. My youngest just started Kindergarten and she’s super picky. I may adopt your version of lunch packing for her. Pretty sure my two older kids (fifth and eighth grade) would love this too!

How’s the freeze dried edamame? My kids love steamed ones, I have never seen freeze dried!

Angela, yeah my son prefers to eat that way (lots of smaller choices, unless it’s soup–he would eat chicken noodle every day if I let him haha) I didn’t love the freeze dried, and B thought it was just “ok” He said he perfers the steamed, but would still eat the freeze dried too. I just found them recently at target, they had all sorts of different veggies and fruit freeze dried.

Tammy, I understand that surreal feeling! Yeah I feel like every year after Christmas or so we just get into a “what the heck are we going to pack” rut haha, its hard to avoid!

Debbie, I know right! Its crazy town!

7. P says:

Everything looks so delicious!

8. Rachel says:

What great lunch options. Your such a good mom. Speaking of kids. I got to check out your book last weekend and I just loved it.it will be giving it a big thumbs up on my blog later this week. Your ideas were fresh and lots of fun. They made me smile. Keep up the great posts. I love reading them.

Rachel
    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

Rachel, thanks so much! You are so sweet, im so glad you liked the book! Seems like so long ago that I worked on it haha…

10. amanda says:

thank you so much for the ideas! the spreadsheet you made is FANTASTIC!! :))
    -hipmama84 (amanda)

11. alissa says:

thank you for this post and list. we start school next week and I am trying to get all the ducks in a row as it were. this is such a helpful place to start.