Recipe – Jack O’Lantern Pot Pies

mypapercrane.com Nothing is quite as cozy as a pot pie on a brisk fall evening. We like to celebrate Halloween throughout the months of September and October so I actually made these just the other night. It might not have been brisk out, and technically it is still the end of Summer, but they were perfect for getting us into the Halloween mood. I had found dark purple potatoes and paired them with some carrots for a very festive pot pie, but you can use whatever potatoes you have on hand, the jack o’lantern faces will festive them up!
Here’s what you’ll need:

Jack O’Lantern Pot Pies

-7 oz of frozen puff pastry
-1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
-1 yellow onion chopped
-2/3 cup of carrots chopped
-1/2 cup of yellow squash chopped
-2 cups of potatoes chopped
-1/4 cup of all purpose flour
-2 cups of vegetable broth
-2 cups of fully cooked protein (I like quorn brand vegetarian chicken chunks)
-1 cup of milk (we use almond milk)
-(optional) 2-3 Tablespoons of plain potato flakes
-(optional) 1 egg slightly beaten for egg wash

Remove puff pastry from the freezer and allow to sit out covered with a towel on a cutting board. Preheat oven to 350F and lay out ramekins on a cookie sheet. I used 12 small ramekins for mine, you can also optionally use one large pie plate and create one jack o’lantern face for the top. Find a circle cup that is about the same size as your ramekins for cutting out the faces, or save one ramekin aside for cutting.

Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan. Add veggies and sauté until onions are translucent. Pour flour over veggies and stir until all the veggies are coated, allow to cook for about two minutes. Add veggie broth and allow to simmer until veggies are tender. Add milk and a fully cooked protein (I use quorn brand fake chicken chunks) and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool slightly to thicken. If your mixture is still too thin or watery add a few tablespoons of plain potato flakes. Stir the flakes well and allow to absorb the broth before adding any more. Spoon the stew into each ramekin.

Uncover pastry and use your cup/or extra ramekin to cut out your circle faces. Then use a small sharp paring knife to cut out faces. Basic triangles work best and the dough is easier to cut if it’s not fully defrosted. Lay each face on top of a ramekin and press lightly around the edge to seal. If doing an egg wash beat 1 egg in a small bowl and brush beaten egg onto each face.

Bake the cookie sheet of ramekins in preheated oven for about 20 mins until faces are lightly browned.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Recipe – Jack O’Lantern Pot Pies

1. Debbie says:

Heidi, these are great!! I’ll have to make some for my Grandson. Thanks!!

2. Tricia says:

I love all the recipes you have been posting! As a vegetarian, it’s so easy to fall into a rut of eating the same boring things. This and the crustless quiche are at the top of my list to try!! Thanks!!

3. Ivonne says:

you are killing me with this. I don’t know if it’s the food or that adorable pot holder!

btw, target has bat and pumpkin print limited edition pyrex bowls for halloween. $3.99. get em’ while they’re still there.

4. Amy says:

Being a picky eater, finding recipes is always a challenge. I’m excited to try this out though! Just need to have an evening that will be cool enough to run the oven, so later this week I think :) Excited!!! Thank you for sharing.

Amy, aw well I hope you like it! My youngest son is super picky, so he didn’t love them (mostly picked out the fake chicken to eat, nibbled at the pumpkin head, but then at least we got him to eat a bowl of raw carrots too–our total compromise food) :)

Ivonne, I made the potholder! I’ll find and post the pattern, although I did mess it up some so my pumpkin is squat haha, but I still like him.
    Thanks for the heads up on Target!! Ours has only started to put out some Halloween costumes and candy, but I hope they have the pyrex soon, i need to check those out

Tricia, I totally know what you mean, i feel like we get into ruts too, so im glad you like these :)

Debbie, I hope he loves them!

9. Rebecca says:

As I had to go to the store today i decided to get all the stuff to make this (well, I had most at home). I just ate one and man, these are great! Thank you so much! Just need to remember to add salt and pepper next time :-)

10. Kristine says:

Yes! I’ve been eagerly awaiting your Halloween posts and itching to decorate my home. I had to keep telling myself “It’s only August. If Heidi isn’t decorating yet, than neither can you.”

11. Carrie says:

Great recipe! And the pot holder is adorable!! Would love to make one. :)

Carrie, I’ll find the pattern I used for it and get it posted this week for sure! My turned out a little “off” haha but I still liked it :)

Kristine, so glad some one else is so excited about Halloween! :) I have to hold off on decorating my house until after my next sept crafternoon (because I want the oct one to be extra exciting, no a re-run of decorations) but its so hard to wait!

Rebecca, so glad you liked them! Did I forget to include them on the recipe? ill have to check…i dont post official recipes too often because i always think ill forget basic stuff like that, haha whoops!