Thrifty Thursday – Vintage Wrapping Paper

I know you’re going to think I’ve gone totally crazy (posting snowmen in Sept?) but I promise I’m not starting in on Christmas posts yet! I found this roll of brand new never used vintage snowman paper at the thrift shop this week as I was dropping off 8 bags of donations. I had cleaned out my youngest son’s room and went through all of my clothes. I felt like it was the best reward to find this wrapping paper for 75¢ and surely the thrift shop workers thought I was a bit nuts over wrapping paper, but its just so great! I decided that while I wanted to use it to wrap gifts, I didn’t want it ripped off and thrown away. So I went out and bought some paper mache boxes with lids to cover (using spray glue) and it worked out really well. I plan to display a stack of them with my Christmas decorations. Then those can be used to store ornaments. Then a bunch of gifts will be “wrapped” in boxes to give to others. I will however only be giving gifts in them to people who I know will love and appreciate the boxes (and want to save them haha). Since its a nice sized roll I covered all these boxes and still have enough to cover 3 or 4 really big paper mache boxes. Besides vintage paper I think this idea would be great for saving any wrapping paper you really love.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Thrifty Thursday – Vintage Wrapping Paper

1. I would frame some of it to display during Christmas! I love vintage wrapping paper!

2. rae says:

it really is perfect. i love that idea too! i have a roll of paper that I have been hoarding. also, i totally use my best paper only for people i know will “appreciate” it. haha!

3. Missy says:

Oh my! No wonder you were practically tinkling yourself in the store! I can’t believe how well it’s endured the decades! The ink still looks so vibrant! Gah! Check out those happy snow fellas in all their many festive poses! It’s sickeningly fabulous, Heidi! It almost takes your breath away!

Goodness me! Even as hyper focused on Halloween as I am right now it sure made my heart race to see these beautiful Christmassy photos appear when I checked your blog this mornie!

It’s too wonderful that as the day comes to a close on October 31st and all the spooky excitement of Halloween begins to fade – good ole color-rich cozy Christmas comes to the rescue right as we’re needing something to fill the void!

You did such a bang-up job on the boxes, Heidi. They practically look store bought they look so cool and seamless, while still retaining that special handmade vibe! Congrats on such an exhilarating find! xox!

4. Peggy-Sue says:

Jeepers – that is a great idea! I have a big stack of vintage wrapping paper (folded) that I love and I can’t bear the thought of it using it only to have it be ripped up – using it to cover boxes is genius!

5. Rachel says:

It does make you feel better to give them to people that you know will cherish them. I’m the same way.

6. Oh my gosh! That paper is absolutely darling! I like your idea!

7. Kristine says:

Cute! I think it would make a great fabric print. Congrats to you for dropping off 8 bags! I need to get motivated to do the same!

Kristine, thanks–I really need to do more, haha

Thanks Bonnie…im just glad the roll won’t sit in my closet and will not get torn up ;)

Rachel, yes agreed…like the people in the thrift shop who thought I was a weirdo for adoring the paper I can see a few people not really getting that they should keep and re-use the boxes haha

Peggy-Sue Oh good im so glad you like it! I feel guilty when I have wrapping paper just sitting around haha, but I also feel guilty using old beautiful paper

Missy, It totally made my day to find the wrapping, I was smiling ear to ear and totally giddy haha. I kept saying “oh my god its the cutest paper ever” Some of the people waiting to check out just kept looking at one another like “waht a weirdo” hahaha but I didnt care, I felt like I won the lottery haha
    You are so right once the saddness of Halloween ending creeps up—weve got beautiful exciting Christmas to start planning and decorating for!

Rae, yep and we know the appreciators are a special breed :)

Jessica, thats a great idea too!