Yummy Trading Party

On Friday morning Katie and I headed on a road trip to Rye NY with our two boys. We had decided to leave Friday morning since the drive was a little over five hours and make a fun road trip out of it.
When we finally arrived at our hotel Friday evening we were greeted with a goodie bag from Candy Rox filled with treats. The Yummy Trading Party was on Saturday so we got up and decided to park on Purchase st which is where the shop is located, such a cute little area! We had breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien which was really good and then walked up and down the street a bit before heading to Candy Rox. Everyone at the store was so sweet and nice, they had gone all out with yummy treats for everyone who attended. They bought treats to match the yummy keychains, and even set out the greek paper coffee cups for hot chocolate & coffee. There were balloons, coloring pages, a bunch of items to be raffled off, and even costumes!
I wasn’t able to take photos once the event started but thankfully Katie nabbed some photos for me with me camera & phone. The elementary & middle school kids in Rye are mega yummy keychain collectors. There are rumors flying about what is rare, rumors about what the next series might be, and questions galore. These kids were so awesome! I loved being able to talk to them, sign their keychains & shirts, and hear all their great suggestions for what they think should be made into keychains. The place was packed, and it was amazing and I am so grateful to everyone who came out. Candy Rox said they had over 110 rsvp’s!!
There was one boy who was very serious and asked “Is there a turkey or purple burrito keychain? Because my friend says he has both and I don’t believe him!” Of course I had to break the news that there was no turkey or magical purple burrito in the yummy collections.
There was also a ten year old girl with her mother, who was surprised as her daughter pulled a long strand of yummies from a small bag and said “You told me you only had 20 of them!” to which the daughter said “I have 56″ We loved that she knew the exact number, and goodness…56!!! Really the kids here are super collectors, and most had their yummies clipped onto stretchy hair bands that they then wear around their wrists. The parents told us that it’s a big thing in all the local schools, and has just sort of exploded over the last couple of months.
It was a really fun day and I am so glad that Candy Rox asked me to come and visit. In the evening we went ahead and started heading toward PA, we just wanted to knock a few hours off the trip, and stayed in New Jersey. Then Sunday took our time heading back and drove through Lancaster for Shoo-fly pie, the Christmas Museum and a few antique shops. We did make an attempt to stop and shop at The Golden Nugget fleamarket in NJ which came highly recommended. But when we tried to stop there on Sunday morning the parking situation was a total nightmare. Instead of a parking lot, it was more of a “park-wherever, if you can” arrangement and after weaving our way through cars with many stops and backing the car up, we decided to give up. Maybe if you arrive really early parking isn’t as much of an issue, but it was too anxiety inducing for my tastes haha.

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Yummy Trading Party

1. Akiyo says:

It looks like it was a lot of fun! :D And a great way to get inspiration!! Hope you visit the Bay Area (CA) one day! ;) Now I’m craving donuts!

2. Colleen says:

What a cool experience! Kids love their keychains!

3. Persephone says:

Sounds like a good time. We had a nightmare parking flea market in Texas, but the flea market was so worth it.

4. Catherine says:

oh I so wish I had read your posts before last weekend! – I didn’t realise you had designed the GORGEOUS new PA range. We were in the city shop (in Brisbane, Australia) on Saturday, and I bought each of my kids the milk-and-cookies onesie, and a pair of pj pants for my husband and me!! The shop windows are really fabulous – two full windows of your pjs and props – toast popping up and down out of the toaster, gorgeous props – so cute, we stopped and looked at everything. I instagrammed a pic of us wearing the pj’s, I will go and tag you. Love your work.

5. Jessica H. says:

What a fun event! That’s so awesome that your keychains have become collectibles among the kids. So much better than trading cards!

6. Kate says:

oh, wow. That looks like so much fun. I’m glad kids are collecting such cool things! I have a whole lot of the donuts, the first ones that came out, but now I have to spend my money on food and bills- I’m quite jealous of these kids!

7. rae says:

i’m glad you had such a good turn out! those girls with their handfulls of yummy keychains are so cute!

8. Rachel says:

What an awesome event and a fun way to spend time with your kids.

Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

Rachel, thanks! It was a fun trip :)

10. Liz says:

It does appear that your yummy key chains are today’s version of the plastic charm necklaces of my youth :)

Yup, that totally makes sense!

Rae, I know they were so adorable :) :)

Kate, a lot of the kids have just discovered the keychains and had no idea that the donut series was ever out! :)

Jessica, thanks I had lots of fun! All the kids were so cute :)

Catherine, thanks for such sweet words!! It was so much fun working with Peter, I hope we can do something again! :)

Persephone, Yeah we wondered if the nightmare parking meant that the flea market was extra good-that people were willing to go through anything for it haha, but my husband and I had just switched cars so I still didn’t feel totally normal driving it, let alone backing up and trying to squeeze into tiny places. Maybe one day I will make it back out there to check it out :)

Colleen, it was lots of fun, I loved seeing the kids so excited about the keychains :)

Akiyo,
    thanks for the sweet comments…I hope to get back out to San Francisco some time soon!

18. This looks like a lot of fun. The pillows are just so adorable.