we grew an adult!

The day after we got home from Chicago we had another smaller, but more momentous road trip to go on-taking Kurtis to college. Kurt of course graduated from high school this year and is attending Penn State University (about three hours from us). While we are so excited and proud for him, it is never an easy thing to say goodbye to such an amazing kid. It hasn’t even been a full week yet, and we miss him like crazy.

We stayed overnight at the Nittany Lion Inn while he spent his first night in the dorms. As you can see he wanted a loft bed, and it turned out to be a really good idea to help free up some extra space in the room. The ladder is on the end though so its up against the desk (which cannot be used) So to get up there he basically has to climb on his desk and the crawl his way up the bed. I wonder how long before that gets old.

We are excited & proud to see how college life suits him. He’s always been a very independent kid so I don’t think he will be too home sick. He already one a dance competition on his second night there-so I’d say he’s off to a good start.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to we grew an adult!

1. Dawn says:

awe, sweet! and 3 hours isn’t that bad.

2. Julie says:

This is me next year–dreading it already.

3. Rachel says:

I can’t imagine how hard that would be. My kids are still somewhat young but I know these last years are going to just fly by. I’m sure he will do great.

4. Persephone says:

They grow up so quickly. My youngest just started kindergarten this year and it feels like just yesterday she was a tiny baby.
    Also… We are PENN STATE! ;)

5. Amanda R. says:

Awww…. congrats to Kurt. And good job, mama, for keeping it together. I’d probably be a weepy mess!

6. Nat says:

Is that a banjo case in the back of that car? :D

I bet your kid is going to get the best care packages of all his dorm mates. :)

7. Evonne says:

How bittersweet! I’m sure he will have the greatest time of his life living all the adventures ahead! Good job, mama!

8. So exciting! My best friend, Jen, dropped her son off at Northeastern about three days ago, and she’s struggling mightily with missing him. We’ll be in the same boat in a few years, and my heart is in my throat just thinking about it. But what an adventure for him. I hope you’ll keep us posted on how he likes it.

9. darlingbeatrice says:

Aw wow! Where does the time go?
    My dorm room had a loft bed that had no ladder so my desk was the only way to get up into bed. lol

Darlingbeatrice, it does fly by far too fast! Maybe they intended students just to get on the desk haha, as I see no other way with the size of those rooms ;)

Melissa, It is a crazy time to send your kid off to college. I’m just glad I still have 8 years until B graduates. I dont know how I’ll feel when they both are off on their own!

Thanks Evonne, it is bittersweet for sure!

Nat, yeah he’s still learning….but of course it had to go with him :)

Amanda, oh we all cried…Kurtis too, how could you not?

Persephone, haha its so true though…kindergarten! How’d ya do with that? Its a pretty big milestone, I know when B started he still seemed so little! This year he was talking about how all the kindergarteners look so small

Rachel, It still is really weird, just feels like he is away at a friend’s house or something, and its only been one week. He seems to be having a great time so far!

Julie, Its crazy right? I feel like his senior year went by so quick, but he seems to be really enjoying college life thus far!

Dawn, yeah the three hours is not bad…he’s not allowed to have a car on campus first year-so we will have many trips up there and back for sure ;)