watching movies

movies
Since I’ve had so much sewing time this month (working on goods for Crafty Bastards) I’ve been watching a lot of movies on dvd & Netflix instant streaming (and sometimes the free Amazon prime streaming when I can’t find something on Netflix). I thought I’d share some favorites with you in case you have some tv/handiwork times of your own.
-Harold and Maude My friend Katie first gave me a copy of this movie years ago when she couldn’t believe I had never seen it (and she happened to own two copies!) It does appear to be free to stream with Amazon Prime memberships, but it’s not on Netflix instant right now. It’s a wonderful unconventional love story!
-Mermaids This title is on Netflix instant, go and watch it right away! I was on a Winona kick and realized I had never seen this film. I loved it all! The story is so cute, everyone has really fun quirks, the house interiors, clothing, and cars are all amazing. I’ll be watching it again soon.
Besides these gems I’ve re-watched some movies I’ve seen before like Heathers, Bottle Rocket, and Me and You and Everyone We Know (all on Netflix)
I have a growing list of subtitled films that I just cannot possibly watch while I sew, but I am tucking them away for a day I can kick back and do nothing but read…
Time Traveller: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Las Malas Intenciones – The Bad Intentions
My Scary Girl
I’d love to hear any of your suggestions, especially if you have favorites that are on Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming :)

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to watching movies

1. Amanda says:

I watched My Scary Girl on Netflix. It’s a bit different, but it was interesting. I’ve really enjoyed being able to expose myself to foreign film with my Netflix sub.

Do you watch your movies on the computer, or do you stream them through a TV? (If so, what do you use?)

2. Melanie says:

I LOVE Harold and Maude, and Mermaids! There’s a movie called Rid of Me, on Netflix. It’s a really cool movie about a really timid lady. The soundtrack is awesome, and the story itself is great. I’m no Roger Ebert, I’m sorry. But please check it out if you can!

-Melanie

3. Amanda B. says:

I love Heathers, Mermaids, and Bottle Rockets.

I don’t know if TiMER is still an instant watch. I found it by Netflix and then bought it I loved it so much. It’s like a sci go rom/com. People have timers telling them when they will meet “the one”.

Butter is still for instant stream. It’s a recent indie film with Jennifer Garner and the iowa state fair butter sculpting competition.

4. Robyn says:

I’m always on a winona kick. I was just telling a friend about how that movie always reminds me of middle school. We had a lip synch/ dance routine unit in gym and I got my group to select the Shoop Shoop Song performed by Cher from the soundtrack of that movie. Our dance did so well we talked our teacher into picking the best from each class and performing them in front of the entire school during a pep assembly. I think that same pep ralley eventually evolved into the school’s talent show years later. My shinning moment, ha! Winona AND Jake Ryan? You can’t beat that. Plus, the mom always preparing hors d’oeuvres for meals, yes please.
    And just looking back at netflix titles I’d recommend… Have you seen the (sadly) short lived series Hit & Miss. I loved that and wished it continued.

5. Bríd says:

Have you seen “Annie Hall”? It’s on Netflix and it is just fabulous. One of my all-time favourites.
    Also, if you’re into murder mystery stuff “The Bletchley Circle” is on Netflix, it’s a TV series about a group of women who worked as code breakers during WW2 and in the aftermath of the war, became bored housewives again. They end up using their code breaking skills to try and solve murders in London!
    Nothing like watching films and sewing. Lucky you!

6. Christina says:

80’s/early 90’s movies are the best! I’ve re-watched Ferris Bueller and Drop Dead Fred and I highly recommend them! I also watched She Devil for the first time, and LOVED it! I also recommend The Butcher’s Wife and View From The Top (it’s not from 80’s/early 90s, but it’s still great!)

Christina, Ferris Bueller & Drop Dead Fred are good ones! And about a month ago we rewatched She Devil, I love Rosanne!! We got the dvd for free when we bought something, I forget what–it was a funny mail away postcard (like when we bought an appliance) and you would check which dvd you wanted haha. I’ve never see The Butcher’s Wife or View From The Top–so thank you!

Bríd, I’ve never seen Annie Hall or The Bletchley Circle, but it sounds awesome so thank you!!

Robyn, Haha what a great story!! My older sister and I were obsessed with creating lip sync routines in elementary school, and we’d drag out little record player outside and make all the neighborhood kids learn our dances and words to songs like Run Joey Run hahaha.
    I haven’t seen Hit & Miss, I will check it out for sure!

Amanda, Timer was actually one Netflix recommended to me-I’ll have to watch it! We watched Butter a few months ago, I thought it was so great—arts reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine :)

Melanie, That is so funny I was going to put Rid Of Me on my list, but I wasn’t sure how to disclose that it may not be for everyone witout any spoilers on the opening scene haha. I started watching it and never in a million years thought that was going to happen haha, I loved the movie! I felt so bad for Maris, I wished it was filmed differently, some of the scenes are a little weird (and not just low budget sort of thing) only because I feel like people might not give it a try all the way through, but your right-it had a great soundtrack too! :)

Amanda, When I sew I watch on my laptop, but when we are going to watch a movie on the tv we stream through the Wii or the PS3, the amazon prime works through the ps3 too

13. Melanie says:

Heidi,

Yay! Someone watched it! Yeah, the opening scene had me shrieking like a school girl, but with laughter too. Poor Maris.

Melanie, I sent a group text to my friend & husband saying “I just started this movie and this happened” ha, I knew it had to be interesting after that! I laughed so hard about her trying to rub it off with the bread bag

15. Melanie says:

Okay, I shouldn’t spam your blog comments, but I DIED laughing at that. We have the same bags for sandwiches like that (generic ones) at my school deli, so I can’t forget it. XD

16. Jenny says:

Another really good Woody Allen flick that’s on streaming is ” Manhattan,” so good.
    We watched “Requiem for Dream.” It is based on a book. Super intense I have to say. It stars Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly.
    I don’t know if you have seen the Ai Wei Wei documentary, “Never Sorry.” Really an amazing insight into his world as an activist and artist. Really good.
    Happy Sewing!!

17. Kate says:

I agree about TiMER, one of the best ever finds on Netflix instant!
    They just added Our Idiot Brother, which I love. The brother is just so sweet, I adore him.

18. Amanda says:

Have you seen ‘Beauty is Embarrassing’? It’s streaming on Netflix, about the artist Wayne White from PeeWee’s Playhouse. He’s southern, hilarious, and plays a banjo. I mean. I was sold. So inspired. Also, Hi! Long time reader..first time commenting :)

19. Kaitlyn Foreman says:

If you like documentaries:

I Like Killing Flies – it’s about a restaurant owner who has a hole-in-the-wall place in NYC. He practically runs it like a one-man show, though he has others who aid him in the kitchen. He’s crude and has all these amazing philosophies about people and life. I loved it.

(Amazon) Parking Lot Movie – A doc about the employees who run a parking lot. Seems really mundane, but it’s actually fascinating.

And other genres:

Everything is Illuminated – A man, who is a quirky collector of anything and everything to save/preserve memories in neat little baggies. He travels to Ukraine to find the woman who saved his grandfather during the war.

Dogtooth – This is not for the weak of stomach, but it’s a great movie that depicts a family where the three adult children have been cut off from society their entire lives by their parents… who mold an alternate reality for their children based on what they want their children to believe of the world.

The Hedgehog: A smart little girl plots to commit suicide. While watching a budding relationship of two people who are close to her, she gains perspective.

20. Chrissy says:

Hey Heidi!
    Two movies that I re-watched over the weekend that I LOVE (both are not on Netflix but I highly recommend) are:

‘The Company of Wolves’
    Directed by Neil Jordan of ‘The Crying Game’ fame (try not getting that Boy George song stuck in your head). It’s an odd paced movie, feels a little bit lighthearted but it has some very haunting parts. Plus Angela Lansbury!

“Matango, Attack of the Mushroom People’
    One of my all-time favourite movies. Put of by the same studio that put out the Godzilla movies. There’s an official release with english subs. This would be a GREAT Halloween movie! I recommend this movie to everyone, I can’t think of any type of person who wouldn’t love it!

21. Mermaids is one of my very favorite movies! So is Heathers. I just watched it again the other night. :)

22. Nicole says:

My husband and I are huuuuuge film nerds, so I have a ton of recommendations for you! These were all on Netflix Instant when I last checked:

If you want weird/thriller or sci-fi or horror-ish/may be defined as “genre” movies: Mother, Headhunters, Holy Motors, Battle Royale, Oldboy, The Chaser, Monsters, Antiviral, The Descent (on Amazon Prime), Sinister

If you want documentaries: American Scream, Make Believe, Marwencol, Into the Abyss, Encounters at the End of the World, Restrepo, Dear Zachary, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Dark Days, Being Elmo, The Ambassador, I Think We’re Alone Now

If you want light-hearted/fun: Sound of Noise, Eagle vs Shark, HottieBoombaLottie, The FP, Dil to Pagal Hai (Bollywood movie), Troll 2 (so bad it’s good, and if you like that, watch the documentary Best Worst Movie)

If you want dramas: Adaptation, Vicious Kind, Fish Tank, Punch Drunk Love, Melancholia, Life is Beautiful, Killer Instinct/Public Enemy #1, 21 Grams, In The Mood for Love

Oh, and if you haven’t watched The Great British Sewing Bee (was on BBC earlier this year), you should check it out. Should be available on YouTube.

Thanks so much Nicole, there are actually quite a few on your extensive list that I have seen, which makes the rest of the recommendations even more exciting! Thanks so much!!

Jessica, I cant believe it took me so long to see Mermaids :)

Thanks so much Chrissy, I’m going to see if Netflix has them!

Kate, just watched TiMER last night, really cute! I’ll have to check out the other title, thanks!

thanks Amanda, I haven’t seen it—I’ll have to check it out for sure!

Kaitlyn,Thanks so much! Ive seen a few of these-but not all of them! Now I have so many great recommendations :)

Jenny, I’ve seen Requiem For Dream, but not the other two so I’ll add them to my list, thanks so much!