Dyeing Yarn

I’ve been thinking more and more about doing some crafternoon projects that center on yarn. I know a lot of the ladies are interested in learning to knit or crochet. I thought I’d take it one step further and have everyone dye their own yarn first.
I wanted to try out dyeing yarn before crafternoon to get a good feel of it. I plan to make a few more test trials with some changes to see if the results are different, but here is what I did.
I took 100% wool yarn in a hank, tied off in a few places. I soaked my yarn in warm water, then gently squeezed most of it out. I then placed it down inside a cardboard box (outside) and sprayed the yarn with some vinegar. I flipped it over several times while spraying. Then I used a mixture of unsweetened kool-aid, and food coloring. I just would squeeze some in a color at a time, and then go back and add more. I flipped my yarn a few times, but tried not to mess with it too much for fear of the colors really running together.
Once I was satisfied with the coverage, I gently rinsed my yarn until the water was clear. I was so happy with how it turned out, even though it knitted up with a bit more brown then I expected. It was so much fun to knit with. I can’t wait to see what sort of results I can get with my next skien.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Dyeing Yarn

1. Rebecca says:

This turned out gorgeous! I want to try this, I think my daughter would have a blast doing this!

2. Amanda R. says:

I love your crafternoons. I’m tying to get a local coffee shop to turn the unused upstairs into a maker space. I’d love to start doing a zine, or having crafternoons, or doing something exciting. (you know, on top of the full time work, three kids, and my bazillion hobbies… I’m a glutton for punishment)

3. Sue Jackson says:

Think cotton yarn would work also? Love how it turned out!

4. Alex says:

You might want to consider heating it in some way for extra color-fastness ;-) I’ve heard leaving it in a black plastic garbage bag in the sun can do the trick (especially in a sunny windshield!) I’d worry about it fading without heat-setting, though the vinegar ought to help.

5. mortonma@att.net says:

Very beautiful! The multi-colors remind me of Indian corn. I can’t wait to see what you make with it :)

6. Stephanie says:

I haven’t knitted in years, but this looks fun!

Stephanie, I’d say I knit off and on through out the years, going long long months in between. But whenever I start up again I always love it!

Mortonma, Yes! I can totally see indian corn!! :)

Alex, thats true, though with previous kool-aid dying I haven’t had much trouble as long as the water was warm, but then again I’ve never made anything with the yarn that requires washing (like sweaters) haha

Sue, unfortunately cotton’s won’t work with the kool-aid, they just don’t take color the same way as wool and you’ll find most of the color just rinsing out. http://www.biscuitsandjam.com/index.php?firstID=1661 this blog entry though gives some interesting info on her experience of dying cottons with kool-aids. Though you could do the same effects as my yarn with dyes made for cotton :)

Amanda, I am the same way-so many ideas and things I want to do—but never quite enough time :)
    I love your idea though, sounds like it could be such an amazing space!

Rebecca, it is so much fun, and the best part is its not toxic like some dyes. Although it does seem creepy to ever drink kool-aid knowing it can dye wool yarn so vibrantly without anything else added! You only need the vinegar for the food dye since the kool-aid has citric acid :)