Let’s all go to the movies!

Today I just wanted to share a few movies with you. A couple I have seen, or just can’t wait to see. First up a movie based on one of my most favorite books, Invisible Sign. I found this one accidentally when browsing Netflix for something to watch on instant. It actually came out back in 2009, and I was wary of Jessica Alba playing Mona. I had just seen her as the main character in Spy Kids 4, and I think she’s had too many roles where she plays something completely opposite of Mona to make this work. That being said, I still actually really enjoyed the movie. I’m glad that Mr. Jones and his wax numbers did not disappoint me, and I thought Lisa and Ann were spot on. It felt a little rushed like most books to film, but overall I liked it.
The next film is Trap For Cinderella, which I have not yet seen (was in theaters in Dec, but not around here) The first book of Sébastien Japrisot that I read was A Very Long Engagement (highly recommend the book & film both so very good) Of course after reading that I became a bit obsessed seeing what else I could find of his work that had been translated. I’ve only been able to find and read 6 of his books, but I loved them all. I’m not usually one to go for murder mystery novels, but something about the way Sébastien Japrisot could craft a story really hooked me, and kept me guessing. The film has a lot of bad reviews, but I’ll still give it a try with an open mind.
I saw Finding Vivian Maier on Mother’s Day, and really enjoyed it. When I first saw the trailer it reminded me a little of Henry Darger and the documentary In The Realms Of The Unreal (watch it, its amazing!) Henry was an amazing artist and novelist in secret, spending his time working as a janitor and then spending his free time working on his own creative world. Thats very much simplifying everything so I encourage you to check out the documentary, which is really one of the most beautifully put together documentaries I have ever seen. Ok back to Vivian Maier, she was an unknown street photographer who spent her time working as a Nanny. Her photographs and undeveloped film were discovered by John Maloof, a man in Chicago who was writing a book on the history of the city. He had been going to flea markets looking for old photos for his book…and went on to direct Finding Vivian Maier. Its a really interesting story. I was just left wanting to see more, hear more of her recordings, but I realize there would of not been a way to put all that in there. It’s very much a documentary about her as well as the John Maloof and the events that went on after he found the photos.
The last film The Lunch Box is something I keep seeing previews for on other films, and it looks so sweet and charming. If I don’t get a chance to go back to The Majestic Theater in Gettysburg and see it while it’s there, I’ll keep an eye out on Netflix for it.
Besides all these gems we also saw (and loved, but its no surprise) Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel. I cannot wait for it to release to dvd so I can watch it again. I think we would need to whip up some Mendl’s Courtesan au Chocolat for the occasion!

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Let’s all go to the movies!

1. Very different than that movies that you mentioned, but you should check out Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 on Netflix. The food-animals are awesome!

2. rae says:

i really loved the vivian meyer film too, but I was left with lots of questions. i want to know if she continued shooting film throughout her life. they didn’t say it, and they didn’t show any photos past the 60’s. are those in the undeveloped rolls he had?were the photos not a good? did the stop working that way? I thought it was weird that is wasn’t mentioned.

3. Jessica says:

I always love your media recommendations so I’m adding all of these movies to my watch list.

Here are a few movies I watched recently and loved:

How I Live Now
    Moody American girl is sent to England to spend time with relatives, then war suddenly breaks out. Beautiful, heart wrenching, this movie proves itself in the last 2/3.

Foxfire (2011 remake)
    Group of girls start a gang to stand up for each other and against those who have wronged them. Complex relationships between girls as friends, family, sometimes substitute parents, and literal partners in crime.

To-Do List
    teenage girl is determined to check off various sexual experiences during the summer between high school and college. Smart, gross, honest.

Thanks so much!! We watched the Foxfire remake last night and I really liked it! I feel like that time period made much more sense then the one with Angelia Jolie. Now I want to read the book!
    I also started How I Live Now while I was working, but had to stop midway, so I’ll finish it up the next time I am sewing.
    And I’ll check out To-Do List for sure! I’ll take any more recommendations too haha, I watch stuff while I sew all the time. Have you seen My Mad Fat Diary? I have been watching it on You Tube, British show and I really love it. The company that puts it out has full episodes on their youtube :)

Rae, Yes!! Me too! I was curious about that too and so I had to go online and see what else I could find. I saw he was criticized for not contacting her while she was still alive since he sat on the film for a few years (which does seem a little strange) and I wanted to know if she kept shooting. I got the impression there is just so much film-that its taking a long time to develop it all, but who knows. I also wanted to find out more about the lady who said she was force fed, because from the film clips they showed she seemed to enjoy the kids and it was startling, though its obvious the mental illness seemed to effect her more later in life.
    But your right, I was left wanted to know so much more!

Tiffany, I just saw thats on Netflix instant, gonna have to watch it soon!

7. Maggie says:

I loved Marwencol and thought there were a lot of similarities between the artist and Henry Darger.

8. Molly says:

I heard an NPR story about The Lunch Box and thought it sounded really sweet. We should watch it together!

Maggie, Oh gosh YES! I forgot all about that documentary! :)

Molly, yes, deal lets go!