June Crafternoon – Yarn Dyeing

Last month’s crafternoon was all about dyeing wool yarn. Using similar techniques as the time I dyed yarn before. I had everyone bring 100% white/off white yarn. We used my niddy noddy to wind the yarn into skeins from the balls they came in. Then everyone used a disposable roasting pan for the dyeing. We used a combination of hot water, kool-aid, food coloring, and vinegar. I was supposed to provide gloves for everyone but when I went to get them out they were not there. Luckily everyone was a good sport about dyed fingers and I found Dr. Bronners soap removed most of it.
It was also a pie potluck and the pies varied from whoopee pies to a plantain meat pie! I decided to “invent” a pie the like movie Waitress. I began with a crushed plain animal cracker and melted butter crust, then a layer of marshmallow fluff. That was then topped with a dark chocolate pudding, whipped cream and iced animal crackers. It was an interesting combination.
July’s crafternoon will be all about learning to knit & crochet, and we will be using our hand dyed yarns! I’m pretty excited about it!

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to June Crafternoon – Yarn Dyeing

1. Dawn says:

What fun!! for both months.
    Man, when are you moving south??
    ;-)
    ~Dawn

2. Rachel says:

What a fun summer crafternoon!. I might try this with some friends as a fairwell to summer party. Then use the yarn to make a fun fall craft later on. I’m inspired.

Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

3. carli says:

You should really have your own TV show. I’d totally watch it.

Carli, Oh goodness you are too sweet! I think I would be a big mess on tv haha

Rachel, Oh I hope you do! That sounds like a perfect end to Summer craft!

Dawn, aww sorry no plans to move ;) You should try hosting one! Even if its just one or two friends its fun! :) :)

7. Katie says:

I always enjoy your updates & ig posts! I’ve been wanting to dye my own yarn but haven’t been sure about what yarn to use. Do you have a preference as to what you use? ♥

Katie, The yarn I used both times I dyed was from a local place called The Mannings. They have an area in the back with undyed yarns in all sizes, but they don’t have any company info-just one of their tags. I would say to start though find the cheapest 100% wool yarn you can buy at a place like Michaels with a coupon, so you can experiment :)