Garden Report: Tomatoes

The garden is simply out of control at this point, it no longer looks pretty. Our lawn mower is being difficult and the pumpkins are spread all over making it impossible to mow the grass anywhere near the garden, for fear I’ll run one over. So the garden has over grown grass all over it, cucumbers growing all crazy town. But besides looking ugly the garden is giving me gorgeous tomatoes day after day! I planted five different varieties and all but one of them have been ripening up really nicely. The other day I made two loaded tomato quiche, and have been using lots for sandwiches, but at this rate it is time for me to start checking for recipes. I am thinking a nice tomato soup or chili would use up a bunch. Do you have a garden? If so I’d love to see photos so please link any you have. I’ve already signed up for a bunch of seed catalogs to begin arriving this winter so I can plan next years garden.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Garden Report: Tomatoes

1. Sally_Mae says:

I have such a brown thumb! Or maybe I am just too lazy to water consistently. Either way I always plant seeds and then they die off before they ever grow anything. Instead I just let my sister grow things at her house and then when she has too many, she shares with me. Everyone wins!

2. Helen says:

wow those tomatoes look great, we never seem to have ripe ones and end up making piles of green tomato chutney

3. Dana Grant says:

Wow, such a nice stock of tomatoes. I don’t have a garden but hope to put in one next year.

4. What a haul! And what a variety, too! Good luck with the rest of your gardening season.

This is an earlier peek at our garden: http://livinglavidaholoka.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-virtual-stroll-through-our-garden.html Our spinach is now gone and everything else has taken over our little patch of garden! We have two types of peppers and two types of tomatoes growing. The garlic has been pulled and the kale is out of hand! Since it’s cooled down quite a bit, our tomatoes haven’t been turning as fast. I have been canning a lot of sauce with some of our tomatoes. Others have been used on sandwiches and in different salads.

Jessica, thanks so much for the link! Gotta bookmark your blog! I really need to be better about making a planned planting chart this next year, so I can get things in the ground when they are supposed to! :)

Thanks Dana, I bet you are so excited to plan your future garden! Some times the planning is one of the best parts!

Thanks for the link Helen, your chutney sounds great! This is actually the best year I’ve had for tomatoes so far!

Sally_Mae, sounds like a perfect arrangement :O)

9. Please do! Thanks for stopping by. :) I get over-excited about gardening, but my husband stops me from planting too much. Ha!

Haha I know the feeling! I am already so excited for seed catalogs to plan next years garden!