An assortment of things

otgw3
otgw2
otgw1
otgw5
Want to know the most beautiful miniseries I’ve seen in quite some time? Over The Garden Wall. Everything about it is completely charming! From the songs, story, animation, and characters. I am so in love and really hope it is released to DVD someday so we can watch it over and over again.
And in a totally unrelated direction….
The Staircase– Tom and I both were enthralled while listening to the Serial podcast and when season one was over we may have suffered from a bit of withdrawal. I read somewhere online that people who liked the podcast would be interested in this documentary series. It’s available to watch online, and there is even a follow up called The Staircase part 2: The Last Stand. We watched all of it over the course of a week.

Since I watch a lot of Netflix & Hulu when I sew, or when Tom and I are working in the studio together I would love to hear about anything new you’ve seen. Last month I watched the entire series of The Gilmore Girls (for my third time) while working on February’s Plush Of The Month club, and then Firefly this week while I worked on sample plush for possible production, so all recommendations are welcome!

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to An assortment of things

1. Cadry says:

They’re not new, but I loved Moone Boy and Spy. And if you haven’t seen Transparent yet, it’s wonderful.

2. Jennifer says:

Watch Peaky Blinders on Netflix!!

3. Persephone says:

I really liked The Killing (cop drama) and Salem was good if you like twisted sort of things. I like the Dead Files, too, but I’m a fraidy cat and can’t watch it alone. I promise I’m not really that dark of a person. lol I also really like Psych. And all of these are on Netflix.

4. Courtney says:

On Netflix I really love their original series The Fall. I also recently revisited the British comedy series Peep Show, which is fantastic.

Really curious to check out Over the Garden Wall! I had never heard of it before and I do love a good animated series. :)

5. Tracey says:

Did you see Hulu just added all of the Adventures of Flapjack?
    I’ve been watching them when I work. Check out Space Dandy on Hulu as well, I’m not usually into teh anime, but that one is so imaginative and beautiful and silly.
    I saved this list of documentaries I found and I have been working my way through the ones I haven’t seen:

6. Caylie says:

Thanks Heidi! That was so good, I just watched the whole thing. I reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki movies, I loved Greg and his frog! I’ve probably seen every episode of Gilmore girls about 7 times, my favourite show ever that’s for sure. As for recommendations, I can only share what series I have enjoyed such as Northern Exposure, The House of Elliot, True Detective, Six Feet Under, The Killing (US version), X-files, Roots, Dirty Jobs, Frontier House, Edwardian House, Freaks and Geeks, United States of Tara, Medium, Offspring (Aussie drama), American Horror Story (Coven was my fave) and that’s about all I can think of right now. Happy crafting and watching! You should totally make a little plush Greg and frog. xo

7. On Netflix I’m currently enjoying Farscape (lots of crazy aliens, Jim Henson style).

Pretty Little Liars is awesome too, and not what you’d expect from the name! It’s very suspenseful, kind of “I Know What You Did Last Summer” (but much less murder).

I could probably list a ton if you wanted more ideas.

Tiffany,
    Thanks I’ll have to check out Farscape! I think I am pretty current on Pretty Little Liars, and I would always be open to ideas, thanks!

Caylie, Yay! So glad you liked it, and yes Auntie Whispers reminds me of Yubaba from Spirited Away!
    I’ll have to try Northern Exposure, The House Of Elliot…
    I loved Six Feet, True Detectives, The Killing, Xfiles, Freaks and Geeks, United States of Tara haha so I think I’d probably like a lot of the others you’ve mentioned :) Thanks so much! Actually I found a crocheted pattern for the frog and now I HAVE to make one!

Tracey, yes!! We started watching an episode the other night! Thanks for the Space Dandy rec I;ll have to check it out. Thanks for the list too gonna bookmark it because my husband and I really get into documentary moods. We’ve been watching a series about World War One called 14 – Diaries of the Great War, and we’ve really been enjoying it!

Courtney, Yes we love The Fall too, good old Scully :) :)
    I hope you love Over The Garden Wall! Someone else recommended Peep Show to us too, I’ll have to check it out, thanks!

Persephone, Yes we loved The Killing. I thought about getting the books to read because I loved it so much. I’ve tried Pysch but didn’t watch very long because I didn’t totally love it, maybe I need to try it more haha. I’ll have to look up the Dead Files, never heard of it. Thanks!

Jennifer, we watched it all already hahaha but thank you!

Cadry, Oh yes!! Ive been meaning to post about Transparent, so damn good! I am eagerly awaiting its second season!!
    I’ll have to check out Moone Boy and Spy, I’ve never heard of them, thanks

15. Not sure which series you might have watched in the past, but here are a few more ideas ~

Better of Ted, Dexter, The Guild, Witches of East End, Continuum, Hemlock Grove (very dark)

16. martha brown says:

Northern Exposure — because it still seems “valid” over the years. I’ve just watched the first few seasons of Greys Anatomy ( back when it was better) I watched the whole series of Dawson’s Creek last year , and it made me glad that I’m not 17 anymore, lol. My So Called Life made my heart hurt just as much as the first time I saw it.
    What hasn’t held up over the years? Thirty Something :)
    I watched all of Lie to Me last year — and was sad that it ended abruptly.

17. Tracey says:

I love a good documentary myself. Your comment reminded me that I recently watched the entire first season of the American Experience : New York on Amazon prime. I guess it’s 15 years old, but it was new to me.

18. EdLy says:

Over the Garden Wall was completely charming. On Netflix, Black Mirror is really brilliant, especially the 2nd and 3rd episodes of the first season.

EdLy, Oh yes we loved Black Mirror too! I wish there were more episodes :(

Thanks Tracey, I think I’ll need to check that out!

Martha, someone else mentioned Northern Exposure too and I’ve never seen it, so I’ll have to look for that on Netflix. I watched all of Dawson’s Creek when they put it on Netflix and I was surprised by how many episodes I didn’t remember from my younger years. My So Called Life-yep just as good as ever!!
    I’ve never heard of Lie To Me, I’ll have to check that one out too! Thanks so much!

Tiffany, thanks!! We’ve only seen Dexter from that list. We did start Hemlock Grove but just didn’t get into it after an episode or two.

23. Robyn says:

YES! Over the Garden Wall! Matt and I watched that last fall and then watched it again and again. Now I want to watch it again, right now! So beatuiful, eerie, magical and smart. I remember at the end being wowed how everything pulled together. Things I just took as quirky and didn’t expect any explanation came full circle. I need to bookmark this page to come back and look for recommendations when I need it. I second the Fall for Netflix, also things I’ve enjoyed lately Chef (REALLY GOOD and I normally hate anything cooking related), The One I Love (woah), and I just saw that season 2 of the Bates Motel is up. I’ve also been watching PeeWee’s Playhouse and original Twilight Zone episodes, which is great to have on in the background when you are working on other things.
    As for Podcasts, I have been trying to tell everyone about this because I only just discovered it myself… If you are are in itunes on the desktop (not on the app on a device) and on the shop page for a podcast you like, if you scroll down it gives you recommendations based on “people that liked this also liked that”, and I’ve found a ton of new ones I REALLY LOVE. Like, so much that I’m binging podcasts more than netflix nowadays.
    I’m excited to check out Staircase now, Thanks for sharing!

24. Robyn says:

haha, I always seem to leave crazy long comments, that probably should just be an email

Robyn, Haha-I don’t mind a long comment, then anything you have to say is helpful to anyone who might read too. I loved how they tied it all together at the end. We were all in awe, like “Ohhhhhhh!” So clever!
    We watched The Fall, loved that! Someone else on IG was saying how the loved Chef, so I’ll need to check it out. I’ve never heard of The One I love so again thanks!
    Oh I do that thing with iTunes too, but I still need more haha, I listen to podcasts while I walk mostly, or clean because I hate cleaning. But put on some headphones and a good podcast and I am ready to clean!
    I hope you find The Staircase to be as interesting as we did!

26. Robyn says:

Your post got me looking through my watched movies list on netflix and I just came upon another one I would recommend. Frank. It’s about an eccentric band, and has the guy from About Time, Domhnall Gleeson, which is also a GREAT MOVIE. If you haven’t seen that, seek it out. It’s way different than what I expected, but in such a great way.

Robyn, Oh I heard my IG friend Rae talking about this movie, and then I saw it was on Netflix! I’ve seen the trailer, but I keep holding off on watching it until my husband and I can watch together, thanks!