Fauxdori (using iron on transfers on leather)

fauxdori
fauxdori
fauxdori
fauxdori
fauxdori
My friend Olivia had been texting me photos of her planners, and it’s made me really want one of my own. She introduced me to the midori traveler notebook, which is basically a leather folder with elastic inside so you can add in and remove notebooks, planners etc. I loved that idea and once you start looking into the world that is midori, you’ll discover all these fauxdoris (or handmade midori style planners) Since there are loads of DIYs showing you how simple it is I decided to try and make my own.
I had recently learned that you could use InkJet Iron-On Dark T-Shirt Transfers to iron images onto leather. So I decided to try and customize mine with images from my recent fabric designs. I am happy to report that I have been using my fauxdori for a few weeks now and the iron on transfer still looks like new. No edge peeling, no flaking, or cracking. I can’t wait to try this method for projects now.
For the inside of my fauxdori I cut some small blank notebooks I already owned down a bit so they would fit inside. I have been using one to plan out things I need to get done each day, another for sketching, and the third for list making. I’d love to sit down and create some printable custom inserts for my fauxdori soon.
Please note that the Amazon link above is an Amazon affiliate link and if you purchase something using the link I will receive a small Amazon credit.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Fauxdori (using iron on transfers on leather)

1. Persephone says:

How cute! I should do this to the planner I have now. Amazon sent me the wrong color and were out of the color I did want, so I just kept it and learned to live with it. I never knew I could decorate it like this!

2. Jess says:

This is so cool! Thanks for doing a little tute.

3. Kya says:

The result looks so good! The texture the leather also gives to the design is nice as well. :D

I have been thinking about getting a planner lately. There are many options for them that I am still undecided. xD

4. Caylie says:

Hey Heidi, i just found this and saw your plush, did you know about this photo shoot? I can’t remember you posting about it on your blog….but maybe you already know. http://visualoptimism.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/my-market-day-lindsey-wixson-and-hanne.html

5. kate says:

I never knew this could be! I love it. I think I need one of these to journal our bee progress. (hint, hint) :)

Kate (I’m going to start calling you Kate in person) come over and we can make one for you!! I have iron on paper but you’ll need a piece of leather-the scrap bag I have has more but all the pieces are too small

Caylie, thanks so much for the link! I posted something on Instagram when I found out and was able to do a swap with a friend in Japan for the magazine, but I totally forgot to post it-so I’ll have to remember to post about it :)

Kya, the options for the planners is bananas! Its like a whole world of choices, and cute things which of course I love! Hope you find the perfect planner!

Jess, you’re welcome! Its so simple that I wasn’t sure if it was really something worth posting about haha, but I never knew you could use iron-ons that way, so I figured I should share :)

Persephone, Oh thats a great idea! I hope you’re able to turn your planner into something you adore now!