For August’s crafternoon we made pajaki paper chandeliers. You can find some interesting history on the pajaki here
, as well as links to instructions. I didn’t get photos of everyone’s creation, but it was so much fun to see how very different they all turned out! We used food color dyed coffee filters (these were so much fun to make ahead of time!), tissue paper, coffee stirrers, quilting thread, wire and paper.
We did white elephant as always, but this time there was just four of us with gifts so it went by very quickly!
Last month’s crafternoon was all about dyeing wool yarn. Using similar techniques as the time I dyed yarn before
. I had everyone bring 100% white/off white yarn. We used my niddy noddy to wind the yarn into skeins from the balls they came in. Then everyone used a disposable roasting pan for the dyeing. We used a combination of hot water, kool-aid, food coloring, and vinegar. I was supposed to provide gloves for everyone but when I went to get them out they were not there. Luckily everyone was a good sport about dyed fingers and I found Dr. Bronners soap removed most of it.
It was also a pie potluck and the pies varied from whoopee pies to a plantain meat pie! I decided to “invent” a pie the like movie Waitress. I began with a crushed plain animal cracker and melted butter crust, then a layer of marshmallow fluff. That was then topped with a dark chocolate pudding, whipped cream and iced animal crackers. It was an interesting combination.
July’s crafternoon will be all about learning to knit & crochet, and we will be using our hand dyed yarns! I’m pretty excited about it!
May’s Crafternoon was all about English Paper Piecing, just like I did in my paper piecing necklace
, but larger sizes. I love paper piecing and I should of been working on my “five year quilt”, which at this point should probably be finished considering I started in back in 2009! But instead of hexes I wanted to try out diamonds, so I have basically started a second quilt. You can see some photos of my hex quilt here
was nice enough to use her Silhouette
to cut out the paper pieces ahead of time. She really makes me want to buy one with all the fun things you can do with it!
I made a pan of these snickers bar brownies
for crafternoon (the perfect excuse to make crazy indulgent sweets because there will be lots of people over to eat them up) The only changes I made were I did not add hot fudge to the mix and I didn’t add any peanuts. I keep the finished brownies in the fridge before cutting them, and that was great, but you can see in the photo above that once they sat out cut for about ten minutes they melted down into piles of brownie mess. They tasted really good, and someone said they were more like cadbury egg brownies. I agree, especially with out the nuts, the nougat was very much like a cadbury egg. So, very delicious, very messy, and very time consuming to make so one time is plenty.
April’s Crafternoon was Easter themed, and probably our most labor intensive project yet, we made Bunka Dolls. Bunka Dolls were famous between Taishô (1912-1926) and early Shôwa Period (1927-1937). The doll’s body and clothes are completely made from fabrics, and the faces are painted.
We used the instructions found here
. Ahead of time I had sewed up the bodies and arms which get attached later. This made it easy to focus on the faces, hair, and clothing. Which still ended up being very time consuming, but still fun to sit and work on. We used iron hem tape for edges and hand stitched or glued whatever we could.
Since it was Easter theme everyone brought an Easter basket for the white elephant swap. I’m kicking myself for not getting a photo of them! You can see most of my basket’s contents here
I made a ridiculous coconut bunny cake (I think the ears on top look like Zingers!) and everyone brought snacks to share. Isn’t Molly’s
cheese tray so cute with those vintage Easter picks!!
I didn’t get a photo of all the finished dolls because a few people had to leave before their dolls were done-but there are four above. Two still have the disappearing ink on their faces so just ignore that bit.
All in all it was a crazy ambitious crafternoon, and so the next one will be a really simple project with supplies I already have on hand :)
For our crafternoon Jessee
generously provided all the flower beads, but if you search “stackable plastic flower beads
” on eBay or Etsy there are a lot of places to choose from. We drew the faces on our wooden beads for heads (which were found at any craft supply store) but you can also find some really cute beads with faces already printed on them too. Or paint some on. Just remember that your wire needs to be thin enough to go back through your larger hand and feet beads, without being so thin that it easily slips back through once trimmed up. All of this of course depends on the size beads you use too. Our wire was some times a huge pain to try and push back through the beads a second time, but it did work-even if a little rough on our fingers.