My friend Jessee
and I have each been following along with Creativebug’s fabric design course
. Creativebug is $4.95 a month, but I used the code Micheals to get a free two month trial so I could check it out first (I believe this code was only good until 3/22 but check online because their might be something else current). I love the way the series is filmed, and it’s been such an interesting look into the world of fabric design. Jessee
and I decided to start challenging each other every week or so with a new theme. This is kind of like the Spoonflower contest themes, but no set deadline. In an effort to draw more we decided with this challenge we should each spend time drawing, then scan and work with our sketches online. Week one was bugs and teacups and there may have been some email exchanges saying things like “ugh I hate these tea cups!” but it felt so great to push ourselves. I printed out pages yesterday with colors and to check on scale. Next up I’ll be ordering some Spoonflower proofs, and I am excited to see what Jessee has come up with.
February’s bag of the month all sewn up in my toy fabric
. This bag was called The Hyacinth Bag
, and was a smaller cross body type of bag. Although I liked the interesting flap feature on this bag, from the bag description- One of the main features of the bag is that underneath the flap is space to store credit cards and cash in the zippered pocket. I thought it might be handy for, say, if you were going to a quilt show (maybe QuiltCon) and needed to quickly take out cash to pay for all of your fabric purchases.
I found myself not using the feature for an everyday bag. I like to keep everything in my wallet because I change purses so often, so if I made this bag again I would just add a few zippered sections under the pouch instead. Ive already started on my March bag, I am just waiting on some hardware to arrive so I can finish it up.
I made a fabric bento box, using my bento box fabric
. I used a pattern from the book Stash Happy: Patchwork
by Cynthia Shaffer. Lark books had posted the project for free online here
. I made a few changes to the pattern by lengthening the handles and not adding a patchwork flap. I am planning to use it to store bento supplies. I tried it out with some of my washi tape, markers, and little wrapped candy, it holds quite a bit more then I expected.
I think it would make such a cute gift for someone filled with your favorite asian candies like Pocky
, Matcha Kit Kat
, or my favorite Konpeito
Please note that the Amazon links above are Amazon affiliate links and if you purchase something using the links I will receive a small Amazon credit.
I finally updated my Society6 page
with lots of new designs. If there is something you’ve been wanting from my spoonflower or things I’ve posted to be made into a society6 item and you don’t see it, just let me know!
In December I had seen a post somewhere mentioning a club called The Bag Of The Month Club
, and the name piqued my interest. I love sewing bags for myself for fun on the side, but some times I really get stuck when choosing a pattern or design I want to try next. This club said Each month, you will receive an exclusive and brand-new pdf bag sewing pattern from that month’s designer, delivered directly to your inbox.
and that sounded perfect to me!
For January the bag was called The Companion Carpet Bag. At first I was a little worried, because the bag has a tubular frame, and metal bag feet, both things that I have never done in a bag. Of course the best part about the club is pushing myself to make things that I may have not ever picked, or I thought might be too hard. In the end the bag came together very easily. The only problem I ran into was hemming and hawing over straps. I didn’t buy a pair of sew on straps when I saw some, and then once I was ready to commit I was nearly finished my bag and too impatient to wait for some to arrive in the mail. In the end I decided on some straps that had come in a mixed bag of stuff from one of the previous Salvation Army fabric sales, and attached them with some grommets after the bag had been assembled (so now you can see them on the inside, but I don’t mind)
I used my fabrics this one for the outer
, and the coordinating fabric for the lining and inside the front pocket
I can’t wait to sew up February’s bag using some of this fabric
so I can have an assortment of toy covered bags.