This should be my last post about December (which seems so far away now!) I didn’t have a crafternoon in January because some times it’s nice to take a month off and have plenty of time to plan the next one. December’s crafternoon is always a favorite of mine because everything is decorated all festively for Christmas, I get to make my annual holiday mixed cds for everyone, and there always seems to be plenty of Christmas cookies. We made felt stockings, decorated with colored floss, sequins, and buttons. I purchased some blank stockings for anyone who didn’t want to make their own, and then had felt sheets in as many colors as I could find for decorating them. Jessee
brought her Sizzix
Fabi machine with a few dies like snowflakes, and hexagons. I really need to look into these machines, some of my paper and fabric cutting for Plush Of The Month gets a little out of control. I think most people liked being able to have something pre-cut from felt, and it might have just been Molly
and I who cut out our own shapes. I knew ahead of time I wanted to make several stockings and ended up with a snowman, reindeer, and tree (though I only took a photo of my snowman and the others are packed away with the Christmas stuff now). It was a wonderful time, and going through my photos has me even more excited for February’s Valentine crafternoon!
Halloween Crafternoon (or crafterween!) was on Saturday, and we had a blast. I didn’t do a good job getting photos of costumes this year but we had a scarecrow, Mabel from Gravity Falls, Louise from Bob’s Burger, a “fork in the road”, crazy cat lady, Kiki from Kiki’s delivery service, a flapper, totoro, and I was a pile of fall leaves. I sewed faux leaves all over a dress, cardigan, and made a little head piece.
For the craft I got some Halloween stencils from ebay, and Jessee made some stencils with her silhouette machine. Then we stenciled things! I did a bunch of fabric that I plan to turn into Halloween pillows by adding some quilting around the image. I made a huge pot of broccoli and cheese soup (which isn’t very photogenic but always seems to be a hit as the pot was empty at the end of the night) and my twelve year old son has really been into baking so he picked out and made the baked goods the day before. He made 2 pumpkin pies, pumpkin bread, brownies, and peanut butter cookies. I baked a pan of gluten free brownies and chocolate chips cookies from a brand called Our House and they turned out really wonderfully! Amanda brought an apple crisp, and Katie brought spiced pear cake..so there was lots of delicious treats.
I made everyone my annual Halloween mixed cd (which I’ll have up here soon for your playing pleasure) and filled these amazing Beistle skeleton treat boxes
with some candy and stickers to take home. I had such a good time that I am sad I have to wait another year for another crafterween!
Here is a little walk-through for the painted pumpkin ornaments I made. They are very easy, so I feel a little silly calling it a DIY, but maybe reading through the whole process will be helpful to some.
The main supply for this project is foam pumpkins and gourds. I found mine in the Fall section of Walmart. The small sizes were 97¢ each and the large one which I used as a tree topper was $5. I love all the various shapes and sizes they come in. I have seen foam pumpkins elsewhere, lots of craft supply shops carry them, and they are sometimes sold grouped in a bag. The noses came from Michael’s craft store. I found them in the aisle with some of their floral Christmas picks. I picked up two sizes but perfered the larger size. The small ones would be great if you have smaller foam pumpkins.
You’ll also need craft paint, paint brushes, and if you’d like them to be ornaments you’ll need string and a big needle. I used some black elastic I got on clearance at Joann Fabrics, but string will go through the rubbery stems a lot easier.
I think the key with painting these fellas is to just go for it. Free hand some various eye shapes and let them dry. Even though I used a high quality craft paint I still found I had to go over my eyes a second time. Once my eyes were dry I liked to go ahead and snip off a berry leaving a stem of wire that was about 1/2 inch long. Since the pumpkins are foam you can just push the nose in place with the wire, no need to even glue it there. The mouths only took one coat of paint, and then I added the blacks to the eyes.
Once all that paint has dried you can just dab on little teeth and highlights in the eyes. I didn’t worry so much about making any of the faces perfect, and even ones I didn’t like so much while painting look really great when they are all grouped together on the tree. So try not to stress about painting them. Most of all just enjoy yourself, and have fun! I especially liked painting the grumpy ones.
You can even add leaves and tendrils to the top of your pumpkins and gourds just by pushing the wired areas in the foam like the nose. My berries came with a few leaves so I used those. If you’d like to make a tree topper like I did, just paint the large pumpkin the same way and then use a knife to carve a small deep hole into the bottom. Since they are foam it cuts really easily. I then just pushed the pumpkin down onto the top of my tree and it stays put perfectly.