I have some new and improved nun fabrics over at Spoonflower
. I made my first nun fabric years ago and have loved seeing it used for some many fun things. Can’t wait to see what my new nuns become!
February’s bag of the month all sewn up in my toy fabric
. This bag was called The Hyacinth Bag
, and was a smaller cross body type of bag. Although I liked the interesting flap feature on this bag, from the bag description- One of the main features of the bag is that underneath the flap is space to store credit cards and cash in the zippered pocket. I thought it might be handy for, say, if you were going to a quilt show (maybe QuiltCon) and needed to quickly take out cash to pay for all of your fabric purchases.
I found myself not using the feature for an everyday bag. I like to keep everything in my wallet because I change purses so often, so if I made this bag again I would just add a few zippered sections under the pouch instead. Ive already started on my March bag, I am just waiting on some hardware to arrive so I can finish it up.
In December I had seen a post somewhere mentioning a club called The Bag Of The Month Club
, and the name piqued my interest. I love sewing bags for myself for fun on the side, but some times I really get stuck when choosing a pattern or design I want to try next. This club said Each month, you will receive an exclusive and brand-new pdf bag sewing pattern from that month’s designer, delivered directly to your inbox.
and that sounded perfect to me!
For January the bag was called The Companion Carpet Bag. At first I was a little worried, because the bag has a tubular frame, and metal bag feet, both things that I have never done in a bag. Of course the best part about the club is pushing myself to make things that I may have not ever picked, or I thought might be too hard. In the end the bag came together very easily. The only problem I ran into was hemming and hawing over straps. I didn’t buy a pair of sew on straps when I saw some, and then once I was ready to commit I was nearly finished my bag and too impatient to wait for some to arrive in the mail. In the end I decided on some straps that had come in a mixed bag of stuff from one of the previous Salvation Army fabric sales, and attached them with some grommets after the bag had been assembled (so now you can see them on the inside, but I don’t mind)
I used my fabrics this one for the outer
, and the coordinating fabric for the lining and inside the front pocket
I can’t wait to sew up February’s bag using some of this fabric
so I can have an assortment of toy covered bags.
Pizza party fabric is up over on Spoonflower
, and I might possibly make a few more colors. I thought the gray colors really made the pizza stand out nicely though.
Working on those New Year resolutions…..still adding a few more coordinating fabrics, but so far here are four new designs that I am waiting to proof. Vintage toys for everyone!